Employment Application Process
Thank you for your interest in Portsmouth Public Schools! Please click here to read a letter to all applicants (which includes directions on how to apply) from the Director of Human Resources. In order for your application to be complete and acceptable for consideration for a position, the following information must accompany your online application:
- A fully completed on-line Application for Employment. Resumes may accompany applications, but may not be submitted in lieu of a completed application. Current Portsmouth Public Schools employees who wish to apply for a position need only submit a letter of interest and optional resume.
- Original or Copy of Official College/University transcripts from all schools that you have attended. All transcripts must bear the Registrar's signature.
- Two (2) Reference Letters or Forms completed by professional individuals who are familiar with your work or academic performance. It is your responsibility to request references and to have the information forwarded to Human Resources. If you choose to use the reference form in lieu of submitting letters of reference, complete the information in Section A Part 1 and forward to the person who will complete your reference and send it back to the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department reserves the right to contact any prior employment and/or academic reference.
- Original or copy of VCLA and/or Praxis scores (if applicable)
- A copy of your teaching license. If you do not have a Virginia teaching license, please contact the Virginia Department of Education Licensure Office at (804) 225-2022 to find out the requirements for Virginia certification.
LICENSURE FOR INSTRUCTIONAL POSITIONS
Persons interested in teaching positions with Portsmouth Public Schools must hold a current Virginia Teaching License or meet the requirements to be eligible for a Virginia Teaching License. Inquiries about Virginia Teacher's Licenses can be made through the Virginia Department of Education, Office of Professional Licensure, P.O. Box 2120, Richmond, Virginia 23216-2120. You can also learn about licensure by visiting the Virginia Department of Education's Web Site .
An application is considered complete when all required documentation has been received in our Human Resources Office. Applications remain active for one year.
Employment selections are made based on the interview(s), experience, skills, academic performance, and references of those applicants interviewed. If you are selected for a position, you will be informed by the Human Resources Department.
Portsmouth Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, or disability.