Portsmouth Public Schools empowers the student to be a productive participant in a global, ever-changing, technological society. Students experience rigorous and varied performance, creative, investigative, and analytical opportunities while addressing the personal, more humanistic facets of expression. Traditional and the most current technological modes of instruction are employed.
The music program is based directly on the scope and sequence of the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) for Music.
Levels of Instruction
- General Music (K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Instrumental/Band and Strings (Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced, and Artist)
- Vocal/Choral (Beginning, Intermediate, Advanced, and Artist)
- Comprehensive Music (Grades 9-12)
Specific music instruction goals are in alignment with state and national objectives.
- To nurture intellectual growth by using problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- To provide the opportunity to express the inner self without boundaries.
- To foster creativity and enthusiasm for learning through musical experiences.
- To serve as a vehicle through which skills, attitudes, values, character, and a sense of civic responsibility are developed.
- To foster a cooperative learning effort between teachers, parents, students, and the community.
- To empower the student to begin a lifelong appreciation of music as an active participant.
Portsmouth Public Schools partners with various community arts organizations. Among them are the Virginia Symphony Orchestra
, Young Audiences of Virginia
, Virginia Children’s Chorus
, Portsmouth Community Concerts, Inc.
, Virginia Chorale
, Virginia Opera
, Virginia Arts Festival
, and the Jazz Legacy Foundation
Select high school students attend the Governor’s School of the Arts
Division and school sponsored music activities abound in Portsmouth Public Schools. Virginia Music Educators Association and division-sponsored activities include All-State and District instrumental and choral events, All-City workshops and performances, elementary music and movement opportunities, and Porte Towne Magic!
Contact Gwendolyn Jenkins
Supervisor Music Education K-12
Portsmouth Public Schools
3651 Hartford Street
Portsmouth, VA 23707
757-393-8885 | Fax 757-393-5283